If you’ve ever tried to snap a pic of the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, or lie under the blue whale at the American Museum of Natural History, then you know just how much people love museums. But which of the world’s famed cultural spots are the most famous? Just ask the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA), an an international, nonprofit organization that ranks attractions by attendance every year in their Museum Index. The most recent report pulls numbers from 2016, featuring spots from all over the globe with attendance numbers that rival the population of Hong Kong. So if you’re looking to follow the crowds on your next artsy excursion, try out one of these ten museums. Trust us: they’re popular for a reason. Counting down…
10. Tate Modern, London
9. Vatican Museums, Vatican City
8. National Gallery, London
7. Shanghai Science & Technology Museum
6. British Museum, London
5. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
4. National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
3. Musée du Louvre, Paris
2. National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.
1. National Museum of China, Beijing
The Most Famous Museums in the World (by visitors)